Monday, March 29, 2010

Conclusion

Edith is registered and has been on 3 voyages so far. I am 95% please with her and have found only a few things I would change.

Registering her cost me approximately $80. Taxes at the county cost $42 and a 3 year registering fee cost $36. I had to go to the TWRA and have her registered and get a hull ID #, then wait on the numbers to arrive in the mail. Not a big hassle but enough.

My first trip consisted of a lone maiden voyage where I ended up spending my time fixing the motor and gas line. I did get to try out the motor for about 5 minutes before trolling back to the dock for repairs.

My seconde voyage was a short fishing trip with my boy. We rode for about an hour and fished some. Mainly trying out the tilt to find the proper position with two men in the boat.

The third trip was with a friend fishing a river.


Things I've found out about her are:
  1. She floats without the plug in. With 2 people in her she takes on about 4 gallons of water in 10 minutes and basically stops drawing water. This is good and makes me feel better about the floatation I used.
  2. I have a short in the bilge pump. A fixable electrical problem, but definitely a hassle.
  3. I wish she was 1-2 feet longer. Yes, it would cost $500 more, but the extra room with 2 adults would be nice. I also think it would ride better.
  4. An 8 hp motor is a little light. I think a 12 hp would be perfect. She planes by myself but with 2 adults it struggles. If the forward person sits to far upfront she wants to dig in and water splashes.
  5. The flat bottom is very stable and draws 4 inches of water. But it will beat you a little in waves.
  6. The rear seat is 1/4" to close to the inside of the boat. It rubs against the splash rail when I lean back while driving.
  7. The fishfinder has issues when running the motor wide open. I think it is because of the pontoon/motor distances.
  8. The transom needs to be about 14" tall from bottom with the pontoons. The 15" standard height is a little tricky when trimming.
  9. Needs a tilt trailer for such a short boat.
  10. People seem to love it. I can't go anywhere without answering 20 questions. Hunters stop me on the road, fisherman putter up and check it out, and everyone stares. The TWRA loves to stop and check it for regulations just to see it.
In summary- Best boat I've ever built (only one though). The minor changes wouldn't be to big of a deal to change when I build Edith II. I plan on building another after hunting season. I am also thinking about selling the plans online and have had a few inquiries about building for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment